Thursday, June 4, 2009

Archive (26/2/2009): How far is too far?

How far is too far?

One of my units this semester at uni involves looking at the Political representation in the media. I have always been interested in journalism, and nearly chose it as my course 3 years ago, but decided against it for teaching. Anyway, a question asked by my lecturer got me to thinking? Does the media go too far concerning politicians and their personal “activities”? At first I answered no, because deciding to dedicate your life to national politics generally elevates you to near celebrity status, so whatever is posted, whether it be in a gossip magazine, an article in the newspaper, or general propaganda from the opposition, should be accepted and pretty much expected (exhibit A: Julie Bishop) as part of the territory.

But then I realised something that blew my initial theory out the window: I learned of Bill Clinton long before I learned of Brian Burke. Is that right? Even now, having studied both, Clinton is more of a presence in my mind (In the gay American accent: “I did not have sexual relations with that woman”) than Burke will ever be. Most who read this would probably never even have heard of him, or at least the kind of dodgy, corrupt, money laundering West Australian Premier that he was. Now when you think about it, when we live in a Federation, where most of our lives are concerned by the State Government rather than the Federal one, why is it that the private life of a President on the other side of the planet has become far more of a household scandal than that of the indiscretions of Brian Burke, who ran our state and educated our kids? Does it really matter all that much? Who cares if Josh Brogden self harmed? It is his choice; his decision; his life.

JFK and Clinton philandered. Whatever. I’m sure, just like Cousins and the drug scandal of ‘06/’07, that a hell of a lot more have done it, just not having being caught. They were the presidents of the United States for Christ’s sake. But most of all they are human. I’m not condoning cheating, but people have to stop idealising them, and start treating politicians like people, warts and all. People make mistakes; hell, I’ve made plenty, but I don’t see my indiscretions being splashed across page 1. If people look for a scandal, they will find one (Exhibit B – the latest offerings by the New York Times Art department – apparently the artists wanted Black people to hate him). Kevin Rudd walked into a strip joint; does that suddenly make him a baby-eating anti-Christ? No! That makes him human. What annoys me is that making every aspect of a politician’s personal life on show makes them more human than everyone else. Like Orwell’s infamous quote “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others”.

All people are human, but some people are more human than others

Now that’s just tacky!

No comments: