Thursday, June 4, 2009

Archive (31/3/2009): The Great Daylight Savings Debate

The time is drawing nearer for that referendum to decide whether or not we get to make use of that useless hour of sunlight at 7am, and unusually, the polls are pretty tied up. I thought it would be clear cut “No” from Westralia; we are known for being the most conservative of the bunch (hell, the Liberals are in power again), but I think it’s time I put my two cents worth forward.

I hate daylight savings. Honestly, personally I can find nothing remotely helpful about it. Why in God’s name would you want to elongate a 40C day? To sit out the back and enjoy the summer heat? Bullshit you do; you’re inside, huddled up under the humidifying air-conditioner with half your clothes off begging for this day to end. And what about the people in the country, where they’re lucky to get a day under 40C? I know first-hand the heat of the country – it is dry, blistering and unforgiving, and you could not pay most of the residents of Kalgoorlie enough money to keep it. My own grandmother refuses DLS time. I don’t blame her.

And what about the farmers? Those whose livelihoods depend on a strict time schedule, where cows grow restless if they aren’t milked the same time to the minute. Most, if not all, don’t adhere to the clock changing rules of the summer because they simply have too much to lose because of it. Ever think of them? Ever think where you get that milk from when you’re pouring it into your cereal, or where that wool came from on your blanket, or the wheat in your Weetbix? No, because Daylight Savings is all about a selfish agenda – people wanting an extra hour after work to have some extra leisure time. We didn’t steal that hour! If you’re so set about having an extra leisure day, get up earlier. You bloody well survive during winter, it is NOT going to kill you!

Then you have the business owners of pubs and clubs whose businesses are suffering – the partiers don’t arise until the sky is black – and most pubs are closed by 12 – most clubs are closed by 2. For the pubs, all they get is about 3 and a half hours maximum of solid business on a Saturday night, costing the company thousands. The Carine sees this every Friday night, as well as the annoying kids out of their cages past 8. It is bullshit.

Kids are an interesting one – because many of those who are vying for DLS are the families, but I find that really unusual. How the bloody hell do you get your kids to bed? It’s still too bloody hot and light – I know I can never sleep unless I am enveloped in darkness and cool enough to snuggle under blankets. Instead the kids are running rampant across restaurants – which I have to deal with. Hell, a kid projectile vomited a few weeks ago – at 9PM! We have to clean that up! I can honestly say that the mothers and their untrained little shits who run everything down have turned me off procreating. I don’t want kids – I HATE kids, but I especially hate their over-bearing, over-protective, over-demanding mothers who think they are superior to every other human being. It is these people who officially turned me off Primary teaching – after 18 months of study. I have demonstrably limited patience for anyone anymore. Thankyou.

Worst of all was the government’s handling of the referendum. Or the fact there even is one at all. People in the past have voted no, and I am pretty sure they’ll do so again. They don’t get it – days are getting hotter, money is running out – why should we waste 9M on a referendum which will most probably be rejected...AGAIN! This is an economic recession – don’t spend our money on this bullshit. Either introduce it, or don’t. Don’t waste 3 years and millions of dollars on a decision the government had the power to introduce alone. Mr. Barnett is introducing later trading hours without a referendum and that affects workers more than daylight saving ever would. I think it’s time the government cuts the crap and makes a decision once and for all. Yes or no.

But for the average Joe – Vote NO! Or I’ll come after you.

xx

No comments: